Today is National Blueberry Muffin Day, so why not try Blueberry Muffin Truffles?
This Blueberry Muffin Truffles recipe uses real blueberry muffins and cream cheese frosting to make delicious, moist white chocolate-covered truffles.
Yield: About 48 truffles
12 regular-sized (about 2 ounce) blueberry muffins
1.5 cups prepared cream cheese frosting
1 lb white candy coating (or tempered white chocolate)
Blue candies, blue food coloring, and/or dried blueberries to decorate (optional)
1. Begin by crumbling the blueberry muffins into a large bowl. Use your hands to work the muffins into small crumbs. A few chunks are okay, but try to get most of the muffins into fine pieces.
2. Add the cream cheese frosting and stir to combine. I use a spoon at first, but find that it's easiest to use my hands to really work the frosting through all of the muffin crumbs. Once mixed, your muffin mixture should easily hold together when you form it into a ball, but it shouldn't be overly soggy or gooey.
3. Use a candy scoop or a teaspoon to scoop the muffin mixture into small balls, and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Once all the balls are scooped, put the tray in the refrigerator to firm up the balls for 3-4 hours, or in the freezer for about 45 minutes.
4. When the truffle balls are firm enough to dip, place the white candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Or prepare tempered chocolate for dipping.
5. Using forks or dipping tools, dip each ball into the candy coating until submerged. Remove it from the coating and drag the bottom against the lip of the bowl to remove excess coating, then place it back on the baking sheet. If desired, top the blueberry muffin truffles with blue sprinkles, blue candy, dried blueberries or drizzle with blue candy coating. Repeat until all of the truffles are dipped. Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate coating.
6. Store Blueberry Muffin Truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
recipe adapted from: http://candy.about.com/od/fruitcandy/r/Blueberry-Muffin-Truffles.htm